Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Conrad sighting on the train in 1899!

I'm pretty selective with whose feed I see on facebook, focusing primarily on family members and people or organizations that are related to my research. I have a lot of "friends," but only follow a few, just to keep life a bit more simple!

Today, Loras Schissel, who works with the Library of Congress, posted a photo on facebook of a few Sousa Band members playing cards on the train during a tour in 1899. The moment I saw it, I thought, "My goodness, that guy on the left looks like Herman Conrad!" Loras thought so as well. The monster handlebar mustache was one clue, but the face looks right as well.

Here is the world's first Sousaphonist in all of his card-playing glory! I wonder what they were playing, and did the other guy just realize that he won?!


No comments:

Post a Comment