Friday, March 25, 2022

The tuba whisperer works his magic!

Ironically, about a month after Steve Dillon shipped me an 1899 C. G. Conn American Model Monster BBb Bass from his shop, gifting it to me as a surprise (click here for that story), I took it right back there to meet with his "tuba whisperer," Matt Walters, to see if we could get this vintage beast playable again.

I was able to clean and polish the instrument (click here for that story), but the valves were a mess, and various joints needed soldering, and, well, I just wanted it to sound as good as it now looked! Here are a few photos from my wonderful morning with this dear friend at Dillon Music:






While Matt allowed me to hang with him most of the morning, and consequently I got to hear much of his life story, I missed some of the work he did, as Steve and I took some time to catch up (he and I have collaborated on a number of historical tuba projects, and if you get us talking, it could go on for hours!).

Prior to my arrival, I had sent Matt a short list of what I thought could be done, at minimal cost, to get the horn playable again, but, my goodness, he went well beyond my list! After about three hours of outstanding work and life-giving conversation, he refused to let me pay him, saying that Steve wanted the work to be a gift as well. I was stunned - and gave Matt a big hug!

Here's what she looks like now - and she plays beautifully (for a 123-year-old, that is!):



No comments:

Post a Comment