Monday, November 13, 2023

My latest article on the Sousaphone

 

Here is the title page for my article in the Fall 2023 edition of the ITEA Journal, which will be coming out shortly (I just received the final proof).

As I've meandered along in my research on the Sousaphone over these past 11 years, I've had it in the back of my mind to write the definitive history of that unique instrument in the context of the band led by the one who dreamed up the horn - John Philip Sousa. But, as typically happens with me, I get happily sidetracked by other projects, and pour myself into those.

Finally, however, while occasionally assisting Douglas Yeo this past year with his research on John Kuhn, who briefly played Sousaphone in Sousa's Band, my motivation to pursue this topic was re-awakened, and I gladly jumped back into the research. The result is this article, of which I am very pleased!

But don't miss Doug's fabulous article on Kuhn in the Winter edition of the ITEA Journal. I only briefly touch on Kuhn in my article, but Doug, in his characteristically thorough fashion, tells the whole story of this amazing musician. I hope to do something similar for Jack Richardson and Herman Conrad in the near future - unless I get distracted again, which I probably will!

No comments:

Post a Comment